I did one of those online quizzes, that you see all the time on social media, to determine which country I should have been born in – it said France! Ok, it is true, but of course that’s not the real reason that I want to move to France. To be honest the initial idea came from my mother-in-law, it’s something that she has wanted to do for a long time, and the more I think about it the more it seems like a tempting proposition.
Why? I think a list might be a good option here (in no particular order):
- If we moved to the west or south west of France, the weather would be significantly warmer in the summer, but not too hot
- The education and healthcare systems are comparable in quality to those of the UK, an important factor when bring up children
- The French have healthy outlook on life – they work to live rather than the opposite
- Good food
- The children would grow up bilingual
- It’s easy to travel between France and the UK
- Café culture
- French kids respect education
- Good shopping
- Relaxed lifestyle
- Part of the EU so we have good opportunities and few restrictions
I may well change my mind about some of these during the course of my research, but I’m hoping that by this time next year I will have added a few more.